With Google SSL restrictions around the corner you’ll have no option than protect your website with a SSL certificate. For the certificate you have 2 options, either you use a free SSL certificate or you purchase a comercial certificate.
Just tested the free certificate setup and the process is surprisingly easy to perform, as i have access to the SSH (shell) of my server i followed that path.
The steps to get your domain SSL protection for free is:
- Go to https://certbot.eff.org/ website
- Select your Web Server and Operating System
- Go through the step by step process on the website
The steps you’ll be presented are simple as (using apache as my example):
Install the CertBot wget https://dl.eff.org/certbot-auto chmod a+x certbot-auto Change permissions on the script
$ sudo ./path/to/certbot-auto --apache
The script will ask you a lot of questions and in less than 5 minutes you are ready to go.
2 important topics:
- In my case i needed do disable automatic redirect from http to https because ended up in endless loop, you are free to choose no on the script for safety.
- SSL needs renewal, on the site https://certbot.eff.org/ on the end of the process you’ll be presented with a quick how to add the renewal to a cronjob and avoid certificate expiration